Saturday, February 12, 2011

Will Money Make Me Bad?

When I share my vision of becoming wealthy to be able to uplift the poor and help achieve First World Philippines, I get different reactions from people. Of all the comments that I had, one struck me the most. It was a long conversation but I believe this is what the person was trying to point out: God wants us to be poor and humble. He doesn't want us to have a lot of money because it will only destroy us.

Then I remembered Brother Obet Cabrillas talked about this in one of the Feast Manila sessions I attended to. He used to think the same way and eventually realized otherwise. I firmly believe that wealth will not shatter my faith nor my values. Striving for wealth with a positive purpose will only harness my God given Talents and make better use of my limited Time and abundant Treasures.

My friend even told me, "read your bible." I'm not a bible expert, but I can recall that David and Solomon are wealthy and powerful biblical figures. And so this morning, as I read Bo Sanchez' invite for his Feast February Series entitled "Peso-nality," I remembered our conversation. I'd like to share excepts form Bo's invitation:

"Let me shock you with what the Bible says: If, then, you have not been faithful in handling worldly wealth, how can you be trusted with true wealth? (Luke 16:11)

That’s scary.

But think about it. How a person manages his money (no matter whether big or small) will reveal whether he’s gracious or greedy, honest or dishonest, loyal or disloyal.

Money doesn’t bring anything new to the table. Money, by itself, doesn’t make you gracious or greedy, honest or dishonest, loyal or disloyal. Nor does it make you happy or unhappy.

I love saying this: money is just a magnifying glass. It simply enlarges what’s already there.

Money reveals your character—or the lack thereof.
That’s probably why Jesus spoke about money more than any other topic. Out of 57 parables, more than half were about money...."

No comments:

Post a Comment